Thursday, January 12, 2006

capturing reclusive authors in their natural habitats

I was reading this article from the Chicago Tribune about author photos (via Bookslut)... Of course it goes without saying that each and every Overlook author is a thing of beauty, but I've had some really awful author photos go across my desk (at old jobs, promise), and also some really amazing ones. There's the photo of Dave Eggers posing with the dog that's not his, or Ben Marcus in what looks like a 1950s yearbook photo (or for that matter this actual 1950s yearbook photo of Thomas Pynchon), or this one of Anthony Powell (technically jacket art, but still)...

My favorite would have to be Walter Moers, author of The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear, who has a strict "no author photo" policy, but doesn't mind obliging the media with self-portraits.

--John Mark
PS: Should Pynchon ever decide to go this route, I'd be willing to bet that this guy is up to the task.

No comments: