Thursday, August 03, 2006

Dirda on Littell

Apparently I've been living under a rock, because I only recently discovered Michael Dirda weekly online chats, Dirda On Books, at the Washington Post's website. I thought I'd share a couple questions he fielded about Bob Littell and Charles McCarry.
June 1, 2006
Lakewood, Ohio:
I'm reading and enjoying Robert Littell's "Legends" after having last year completed "The Defection of A.J. Lewinter." Does it seem as though Littell has been under-rated, or is his reputation rising?

Michael Dirda: He's making a comeback, largely thorugh the efforts of Overlook press which has reprinted his earlier books.

August 2, 2006
wdc:
This summer I discovered Alan Furst and Charles McCarry and am enjoying their novels. Can you suggest other authors/books in the spy genre?

Michael Dirda: ALERT--I've just been told that a big storm is heading this way and this will sometimes shut down the computer system up here. So if I have to cut out early, I do apologize. Technical difficulties beyond my control and all that. But I will keep writing until I can't. I sound like the last man at Fort Apache, or the sole survivor of alien attack, who knows it's only a matter of time before they get him too.

As for spy novelists: Those are two of the best. I'm assuming you know Le Carre, Len Deighton, and Eric Ambler. The last, especially his novels from the 1930s, like Cause for Alarm and Coffin for Dimintrios have some of the Furst flavor. Among moderns, don't overlook Robert Littell. You might try the very enjoyable The Amateur.

I just want you all to know that I am neither "wdc" nor "Lakewood, OH." Also, that storm blowing through Vermont yesterday...also not my doing.

--John Mark

No comments: