Friday, November 12, 2010

R.J. Ellory in the FINANCIAL TIMES

One of our favorite authors, R.J. Ellory, was recently profiled in the Financial Times. A few of our favorite parts are below.


Watch for his CIA thriller A SIMPLE ACT OF VIOLENCE coming this summer from The Overlook Press! Below, a few of our favorite excerpts from his Q&A with the FT. Go here to read it all!

Roger Jon Ellory began writing in 1987, producing 22 novels in six years, but he remained unpublished until he returned to writing in 2001. The first of his eight thrillers, Candlemoth, was published in 2003. A Quiet Belief in Angels (2006) has been translated into 23 languages and several of his books have been shortlisted for Crime Writers Association awards. Born in Birmingham in 1965, Ellory lives in the West Midlands with his wife and son.

What book changed your life?

The Shining by Stephen King. When I was 13 and quarantined for chicken pox in my school dormitory, I would hear the footsteps of nurses in the corridor and by the time I’d got to the door to look, there was nobody there. I realised then the power of fiction.

...

Who are your literary influences?

I read as many writers as possible who make me feel embarrassed about how clumsy my words are: Steinbeck, Faulkner, Hemingway, Capote, Cormac McCarthy, Annie Proulx.

....

Who would you like to be stuck in a lift with?

Phillip Seymour Hoffman, John Steinbeck, Charlie Chaplin, Arthur Conan Doyle, Audrey Hepburn and Elvis.

No comments: