Tuesday, June 13, 2006

P.G. Wodehouse blogger buzz

Just a few links from the blogosphere on P. G. Wodehouse:

UCLA's inimitable Professor Bainbridge:
Longtime readers know that I regard P.G. Wodehouse as the greatest English language author of the 20th Century. So imagine my delight when I came across the Collector's Wodehouse series being published by Overlook Press. I'm gradually replacing my tattered old paperbacks with Overlook's impeccable hardback versions, which are attractively printed on Scottish cream-wove, acid-free paper. They'll likely last longer than I will.
Over at The Anchoress:
In such divisive times as these, it is always good to turn to a friend and be able to count on him to buck you up, lift you from the doldrums and otherwise stiffen the upper lip! But then that is The Code of the Woosters, to “never let a pal down.”
and at Mary's Library:
Pelham Grenville Wodehouse wrote some of the funniest books in the English language. Ask anyone who has read one of them.
...and finally, this classic Wodehouse quote from nihilistic_kid's blog:
INTERVIEWER: Do you read any contemporary novels?

WODEHOUSE: I've read some Norman Mailer.

INTERVIEWER: Do you like his writing?

WODEHOUSE: I don't like his novels very much, but he writes very interesting nonfiction stuff. I liked Advertisements for Myself very much.

INTERVIEWER: How about the Beats? Someone like Jack Kerouac, for instance, who died a few years ago?

WODEHOUSE: Jack Kerouac died! Did he?

INTERVIEWER: Yes.

WODEHOUSE: Oh... Gosh, they do die off, don't they?
Indeed!
--John Mark

No comments: