Friday, May 26, 2006

The worst kind of thief



No, I'm not talking about plagiarists...Reading today's PW Daily about the Norton author who had his bike stolen at BEA (story here) reminded me of the Guinness record holder for "most traveled man in history"--all 335,000 miles and 211 countries ridden on his bicycle over 40 years--who had his bike stolen earlier this month. Apparently the untamed wilderness doesn't take the same toll on a bicycle as an afternoon in the city.

My heart goes out to him... I've had bikes stolen before and have reacted with (a-hem) something less than Buddhist-like tranquility, but all I can say is if the thief made off with the bike in a few hours in DC, he's lucky they didn't hold BEA in New York this year. Here's hoping they get it back.

And with that, have a safe and happy (and looooong) Memorial Day weekend. And please keep your bikes locked up...
--John Mark

No comments: